My goal for April 1st was to have all the piecing completed. I’m almost there:
I needed to add a row of background to the top and bottom in order to square it off. The border is next–a row of full and partial hexagons in the dark blue that surrounds the basket medallion. The edges look so wavy because the seam allowances aren’t pressed yet.
I also switched out one of the flowers in the basket–the one to the left of the pink stripe. It’s still the same orange-red fabric ‘petals’ as the original, but from a slightly brighter area of the fabric. I also changed the center from a black dot to a dark purple dot. It’s hard to see in the picture, but it has more ‘energy.’ I knew I was splitting hairs over it, but I needed to be completely satisfied so I just replaced it. What a pain in the neck it was to stitch in just one flower!
After the border hexes are on, I’ll trim and press the seam allowances. Even though Linda Franz made the seam allowances on the .25 hexes slightly less than the typical .25 inches, there’s a LOT of fabric behind the pieces. Think more fabric behind each hex as in it! Frankly it’s a great texture from the back, it looks like brain coral:
The texture is so interesting that everyone wants to pet it!
I’m going to make an applique bird for the top of the basket handle. Haven’t designed it yet, just been stewing on it!
I’m in a dilemma on how to quilt this. My quilting skills are weak! I’ve got some ideas but am asking for your input pretty PLEASE. I will be machine quilting.
Thanks for your input!